Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

One of our newsletter subscribers emailed us her concerns:

"My problem now in my retired life is that my children are so busy raising their families (who all live in a different part of the country than I do) is that I hardly hear from any of them. I feel very forgotten and it seems like the only time they call is when they want something. This saddens me to no end. When I talk to them about it, they just say it's not that they don't think about me, but they are just so busy rushing from place to place."

Do you feel this way too? It's likely that most of us have been in the same situation. Here are a few tips that may sound like basic common sense - but they're often easier said than done.

Understand their perspective by recalling how it was when you were raising your young family.
Learn more about what they are busy doing.
Make your feelings known without blaming them.
Commiserate with friends who are in the same boat.
Find activities that empassion you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for listening. Believe it or not, I do keep busy, but that doesn't replace certain feelings. I am getting used to it more and more as time goes by, but still....

Sheri

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for listening. Believe it or not, I do keep busy, but that doesn't replace certain feelings. I am getting used to it more and more as time goes by, but still.....

sheri

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are probably some younger adults near you who would welcome your interest and involvement. Invest in them and enjoy them. Many young families do not have grandparents nearby and would welcome you as a surrogate grandma. Your church or synagogue is a good place to find these folks. Also, some schools have adopt-a-grandparent programs.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home