Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Friday, February 16, 2007

February is perfect for cuddling, with the cold weather and longer nights. No wonder it's known as the month for romance. But, as a member of the Sandwich Generation, does caring for your growing children and aging parents make you too tired to bring Cupid back into your intimate relationship?

Lucy was on the fast track at work and active in her family life, having three teenagers and parents who were declining. Her interest in romance was waning and she was devastated by changes in her body and her psyche. "I have totally lost my libido and I feel as dry as the Sahara desert. In the past, I had been happily led around by my active sex drive - it has been my life force for so long. Now, I have lost my ballast and my identity. I want to have those feelings again."

Difficulties with intimacy may be affecting your partnership and, more likely, difficulties in your marriage may be interfering with your sexual relationship. If there are situations in your life that preoccupy your thoughts and are stressful for you, these can also affect your desires for intimacy. Begin to deal with them directly so that they do not spill over into your sex life.

Examine your relationship with your significant other. Are you satisfied with the intimacy? How is your communication? How do you both manage anger? Discuss the issues that are causing problems rather than withdrawing from each other. Don't use intimacy as a bargaining tool when there is unresolved resentment in your marriage.

Schedule a date night alone with your partner. Remember how your heart used to skip a beat when you happily thought about your next evening together? Recreate some of that excitement and mystery now. Take turns planning an activity that will remind you both of why you fell in love.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the practical ideas. On Valentines day my husband and I committed to working on romance but, with our busy schedules, it's been hard to keep it going.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home