Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Taking Care of Yourself Through a Divorce

We continue with our guest blogger for the week, Edie Sangiorgio, who is a certified divorce mediator. Edie is the author of Divorce Vows - Before & Beyond the Decree, and her website is Divorce Vows.
broken heart

If you are considering a divorce, Edie has some questions to ask yourself first:

"So here are some ways to nurture a more positive, strong perspective and prepare yourself by journaling your thoughts and beliefs even if they are not yet part of your reality. Sometimes we have to “act as if” or “fake it until we make it.” Write down the following open-ended questions and fill in your answers with the most positive and upbeat responses that you can think of. Even if they aren’t yet or always true.

The characteristic I like most about myself as a spouse (partner) is…
The quality I admire most in myself as a parent is…
I have a positive attitude about the divorce negotiations because I am willing to…
I am a person of integrity and will maintain my integrity during the divorce by…
My spouse and children can count on me to …
I am a grateful partner and I am most grateful that because of my marriage I got to…

The most constructive way for me to deal with my pain (sadness, anger, etc) is by…
My inner strengths are revealed when I…
I show respect for myself by …
I am a forgiving person and I forgive my spouse for…
I am confident that I can take care of myself because I know how to…
I like being alone sometimes because when I am alone I get to do…
I surround myself with uplifting, supportive people like…

When I make a mistake I learn quickly from it such as when…
I am a loving person and my favorite way to show my love is by…
I know my future has good things in store for me because…
The most important thing I learned about myself from my marriage is…
I am a good communicator because I…"

Don't forget to log back in on Friday when Edie will give us some final thoughts about taking care of yourself when you divorce. In the meantime, Edie has graciously offered our readers a free 15-minute consultation, saying: "Divorce is such a difficult period for most people and so often just having someone willing to listen is a huge help. I felt compelled to write the book but in addition I feel a desire to just be available to those who resonate with my message. Taking a more spiritual path is easier when someone is walking beside you. You can request a phone consultation at edie@divorcevows.com."

And to learn more tips about managing challenges in your life, especially if you are a Sandwiched Boomer, visit our website Her Mentor Center. And look for information about purchasing our ebook, Taking Control of Stress in a Financial Storm: Practical Strategies and Resources for Success, which is available for download in PDF format.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jersey Diva Mom said...

Have a freind dealing with the as we sepak. Just sent the link over to her and encouraged a read through. Excellent material!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home