Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Are You Sandwiched Between Two Generations?



We've received some interesting comments from other Sandwiched Boomers out there and want to share them with you. Please let us all know how the issues raised by these women resonate with you.

One website reader is coping with her family in flux as well as her career - and just can't seem to find the time to nourish herself. She told us:

"I'm trying to figure out how to take care of myself while I'm juggling the responsibilities of elder care and saving the family business. I am at my best when I have a positive attitude."

Mom2Peach wrote in to tell her own unusual story on our blog:

"I often feel like I'm adrift in a small boat on rough seas because so much of the "sandwich generation" support resources don't really feel like they're targeted to me. I recently turned 41 (although I feel every minute of those 41 years some days, I still consider myself to be pretty youthful), and my first child just turned 2. I know there are a lot of women out there in a similar demographic group, but my parents were 41 when I was born. My father was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and had to give up his driver's license (and my mother never had one), and I'm trying to help out best I can while working full time and raising my son. And occasionally be a wife to my husband, who is struggling to keep his business afloat in a bad economy. And occasionally be there for my friends. And, more rarely, take care of myself.

"Many days, I feel like I've got nothing left. I do appreciate that many people coping with caring for older parents are frustrated because they thought they were finally going to get their lives back after their children went away to school, but I don't have an empty nest. I'm still at the point where I'm trying to enjoy all of my little boy's firsts. He doesn't understand when Daddy tells him that Mommy won't be home to read him bedtime stories because she's off taking care of Grammy and Grampy; all he knows is that Mommy is MIA.

"I recently started blogging as a way of connecting with other men and women in similar shoes. I know I'm not alone in my situation, so I keep hoping someone will stumble upon my blog and see themselves in some of my posts."

If you're also having a hard time finding the energy to take care of yourself, click on the title above to read our article, How to Nourish the Sandwich that is You. It gives you tips about setting aside time to nurture yourself.

Labels: , , , , ,

Link

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't cope well when too much is going on with my parents. I wonder how to hold on without drowning and going into a very dark, dark place. Prayer

 helps.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home