Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Monday, October 13, 2008

The effects of the financial crisis continue to spread across America and around the world - mortgages are labeled "toxic," banks are taken over, stock markets roller-coaster up and down with dizzying speed, credit is frozen, and bankruptcies are declared. How will all this affect you? No one can predict with certainty the long-term effects on the economy, but the pundits agree that coordinated efforts will be the best response to the meltdown.

In the spirit of joining together, this week we want to share with you some of the concerns our readers have expressed at our website, www.HerMentorCenter.com. In these uncertain times, you may find yourself in the same situation. Today, we highlight two women who have been dealing with job loss.

Vera tells us she tries to accept what is going on, finds comfort in her spirituality and uses humor to help her cope. "I turned 50 in June. I Iost my job due to the owner selling and the new owner had his own team. It seems that everyone wants a fresh-faced college kid and experience means very little. I am searching and applying for jobs but going through a lot of disappointment. It is getting harder and harder to remain positive as I watch my retirement dwindle to almost nothing and still no job in sight."

Tina says she turns to her family and friends for support and tries to take better care of herself as she pursues her job search. "After losing my job last March, I don't know what to do. I would really like to totally change my career, but with little money and even less of an idea as to what I want to do next I am stuck! I tend to get depressed, but try to at least do some research and get information everyday. I know no one can fix this mess but me."

The process of women coming together and sharing their wisdom has long been recognized as a positive approach for achieving solutions. Do you have any advice for Vera and Tina? What worked for you when you were faced with job loss? Please let us - and your fellow Sandwiched Boomers - hear from you. We are all in this together!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been consumed with figuring out what to do now. I am at a crossroads with my career and get depressed just thinking about it. And my retirement account is slipping away. I don't have any ideas about how to even think about finding myself right now. My mother passed away 9 months ago after a long illness and I am still dealing with her loss. Sandra

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my divorce finances have been very tight and I'd like to think about retirement but can't. For me spirituality and positive thinking are the most important ways I use to survive. I also find it helps me to exercise and meditate. I set aside time for myself to reflect and do a daily body scan meditation that brings me into the present. It's crucial to keeping me grounded. Pam

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home