Family Relationships

Join other women in the sandwich generation - share ideas and solutions as you learn to nourish family relationships without starving yourself.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The continued market turbulence - another drop of over 700 points yesterday - has hit Sandwiched Boomers hard, especially those nearing retirement. Estimates by the Congressional Budget Office are that retirement plans have fallen by over 20% in value, raising anxiety levels and increasing feelings of vulnerability.

As a Sandwiched Boomer herself, Kate is worried about her aging parents and how she will care for them just as she is taking on new responsibilities helping to care for her granddaughter.

"Until a few weeks ago, I could hold it all together. But now it seems like everything is changing so fast. I'm not sure I can do it all. Change in general, getting older is really getting to me now - not so much health concerns as the reality of life moving on, children grown and not needing me as before and so on. It's just a strange stage for me, not so much bad, just different as I find my new place, my new roles as mom in law, grandma, and almost empty nester. To help me get through each day, I depend on prayer and my relationship with the Lord, a few supportive friends, a great husband."

Gwen is an empty nester and having a hard time coping alone with her recent health issues as she worries about how her finances will hold up.

"My biggest hardship is being alone and away from my children. I've been single now for almost 10 years but it hasn't gotten any better since I don't make friends easily. I wish I could, but that's just who I am. I love my job, but when I come home at night, it's a lonely place. I don't want to be a pest to my kids but they're my only lifelines."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's taken me years of therapy to put things into perspective. We will get through this just like we have gotten through it before - with the help of God, family and best friends. Hang on. Sharon

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home